Declare Function CommDlgExtendedError Lib "comdlg32.dll" () As Long
Platforms: Win 32s, Win 95/98, Win NT
CommDlgExtendedError returns the error code from the last common dialog box function. This function does not return error codes for any other API function; for that, use GetLastError instead. The function's return value is undefined if the last common dialog function call was successful. If an error with a common dialog function did occur, the return value is exactly one of the following common dialog error flags:
- CDERR_DIALOGFAILURE = &HFFFF
- The function could not open the dialog box.
- CDERR_FINDRESFAILURE = &H6
- The function failed to find the desired resource.
- CDERR_GENERALCODES = &H0
- The error involved a general common dialog box property.
- CDERR_INITIALIZATION = &H2
- The function failed during initialization (probably insufficient memory).
- CDERR_LOADRESFAILURE = &H7
- The function failed to load the desired resource.
- CDERR_LOADSTRFAILURE = &H5
- The function failed to load the desired string.
- CDERR_LOCKRESFAILURE = &H8
- The function failed to lock the desired resource.
- CDERR_MEMALLOCFAILURE = &H9
- The function failed to allocate sufficient memory.
- CDERR_MEMLOCKFAILURE = &HA
- The function failed to lock the desired memory.
- CDERR_NOHINSTANCE = &H4
- The function was not provided with a valid instance handle (if one was required).
- CDERR_NOHOOK = &HB
- The function was not provided with a valid hook function handle (if one was required).
- CDERR_NOTEMPLATE = &H3
- The function was not provided with a valid template (if one was required).
- CDERR_REGISTERMSGFAIL = &HC
- The function failed to successfully register a window message.
- CDERR_STRUCTSIZE = &H1
- The function was provided with an invalid structure size.
- CFERR_CHOOSEFONTCODES = &H2000
- The error involved the Choose Font common dialog box.
- CFERR_MAXLESSTHANMIN = &H2002
- The function was provided with a maximum font size value smaller than the provided minimum font size.
- CFERR_NOFONTS = &H2001
- The function could not find any existing fonts.
- FNERR_BUFFERTOOSMALL = &H3003
- The function was provided with a filename buffer which was too small.
- FNERR_FILENAMECODES = &H3000
- The error involved the Open File or Save File common dialog box.
- FNERR_INVALIDFILENAME = &H3002
- The function was provided with or received an invalid filename.
- FNERR_SUBCLASSFAILURE = &H3001
- The function had insufficient memory to subclass the list box.
- FRERR_BUFFERLENGTHZERO = &H4001
- The function was provided with an invalid buffer.
- FRERR_FINDREPLACECODES = &H4000
- The error involved the Find or Replace common dialog box.
- PDERR_CREATEICFAILURE = &H100A
- The function failed to create an information context.
- PDERR_DEFAULTDIFFERENT = &H100C
- The function was told that the information provided described the default printer, but the default printer's actual settings were different.
- PDERR_DNDMMISMATCH = &H1009
- The data in the two data structures describe different printers (i.e., they hold conflicting information).
- PDERR_GETDEVMODEFAIL = &H1005
- The printer driver failed to initialize the DEVMODE structure.
- PDERR_INITFAILURE = &H1006
- The function failed during initialization.
- PDERR_LOADDRVFAILURE = &H1004
- The function failed to load the desired device driver.
- PDERR_NODEFAULTPRN = &H1008
- The function could not find a default printer.
- PDERR_NODEVICES = &H1007
- The function could not find any printers.
- PDERR_PARSEFAILURE = &H1002
- The function failed to parse the printer-related strings in WIN.INI.
- PDERR_PRINTERCODES = &H1000
- The error involved the Print common dialog box.
- PDERR_PRINTERNOTFOUND = &H100B
- The function could not find information in WIN.INI about the requested printer.
- PDERR_RETDEFFAILURE = &H1003
- The handles to the data structures provided were nonzero even though the function was asked to return information about the default printer.
- PDERR_SETUPFAILURE = &H1001
- The function failed to load the desired resources.
' Give the Open File dialog box an insufficient buffer size.
' Then display the error code provided.
Dim filebox As OPENFILENAME ' structure that sets the dialog box
Dim fname As String ' will receive selected file's name
Dim retval As Long ' return value
Dim errcode As long ' receives the error code
' Configure how the dialog box will look
filebox.lStructSize = Len(filebox) ' the size of the structure
filebox.hwndOwner = Form1.hWnd ' handle of the form calling the function
filebox.lpstrTitle = "Open File" ' text displayed in the box's title bar
' The next line sets up the file types drop-box
filebox.lpstrFilter = "Text Files" & vbNullChar & "*.txt" & vbNullChar & "All Files" & vbNullChar & "*.*" & vbNullChar & vbNullChar
filebox.lpstrFile = "" ' ERROR: an empty buffer!
filebox.nMaxFile = 0 ' length of file and pathname buffer
filebox.lpstrFileTitle = Space(255) ' initialize buffer that receives filename of file
filebox.nMaxFileTitle = 255 ' length of filename buffer
' Allow only existing files and hide the read-only check box
filebox.flags = OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST Or OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST Or OFN_HIDEREADONLY
' Execute the dialog box
retval = GetOpenFileName(filebox)
If retval = 0 Then ' some error occured, or Cancel was pressed
errcode = CommDlgExtendedError() ' get the error code for GetOpenFileName
If errcode = FNERR_BUFFERTOOSMALL Then
Debug.Print "The buffer provided was too small to hold the filename."
If errcode = FNERR_INVALIDFILENAME Then
Debug.Print "An invalid filename was provided."
See Also: GetLastError
Category: Common Dialog
Go back to the alphabetical Function listing.
Go back to the Reference section index.
This page is copyright © 2000 Paul Kuliniewicz. Copyright Information.
Go back to the Windows API Guide home page.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Send Encrypted E-Mail
This page is at http://www.vbapi.com/ref/c/commdlgextendederror.html